Play and Progress: How Board Games Foster Children's Foundation Skills
Board games have long been cherished as a source of entertainment, but they offer much more than just fun. For children, they serve as invaluable tools for the development of foundational skills. At The OT Store, we recognise the power of play in building essential abilities. In this blog post, we'll explore how board games can actively contribute to the growth of your child's cognitive, motor, and social and emotional skills, with a spotlight on some of the engaging games available in our store.
1. Cognitive Skills: Articulate
Articulate is not just a game of words; it's a game that enhances your child's vocabulary, communication, and cognitive abilities. Here's how:
- Vocabulary Enrichment: Describing words under pressure sharpens word retrieval skills and expands vocabulary.
- Quick Thinking: Time constraints in the game encourage rapid cognitive processing and on-the-spot problem-solving.
- Communication Proficiency: Articulate fosters expressive language skills, aiding in clear and concise communication.
2. Spatial Awareness: Tangrams
Tangrams are ancient Chinese puzzles that exercise spatial thinking and geometry skills. Playing with Tangrams can:
- Spatial Problem-Solving: Children manipulate geometric shapes to form specific designs, honing their spatial problem-solving skills.
- Visual Perception: Tangrams improve visual-spatial awareness, an essential skill for tasks like reading maps or following directions.
- Fine Motor Control: The precise placement of Tangram pieces enhances fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
3. Fine Motor Skills: Tricky Fingers
Tricky Fingers is a delightful game designed to strengthen fine motor skills through creative and tactile play:
- Dexterity and Precision: Players pick up small objects and complete various challenges, refining their hand control and finger strength.
- Hand-Eye Coordination: Tricky Fingers activities involve precise hand movements, promoting hand-eye coordination.
- Concentration: The game engages children in focused activities that improve their ability to concentrate and sustain attention.
4. Social Skills: Group Play
Many board games, including those available in our store, promote vital social skills:
- Turn-Taking: Board games teach children the importance of patience and waiting for their turn.
- Cooperation: Cooperative games encourage teamwork, conflict and problem-solving together.
- Sportsmanship: Children learn how to win graciously and lose with dignity.
5. Critical Thinking: Strategy Games
Strategy board games like crankity, chess or chequers foster critical thinking, planning, and prediction skills:
- Logical Thinking: These games require players to think multiple moves ahead, enhancing logical reasoning.
- Decision-Making: Children make choices with consequences, learning to evaluate options and make informed decisions.
6. Visual perception:
Visual perception is the ability of the brain to process what the eyes are seeing. There are a number of areas of visual perception (refer to visual perception blog for more information). A number of games at the OT Store will challenge one or more areas of visual perception.
Conclusion: Learn through Play
At The OT Store, we believe that learning through play is a dynamic way to nurture foundational skills in children. Our curated selection of board games, including Articulate, Tangrams, Tricky Fingers, and more, is handpicked to support your child's cognitive, motor, and social development. So, let your child embark on a journey of growth and discovery while having endless fun with board games from our store!